United Therapeutics And DEKA Announce FDA Clearance Of The Unity Subcutaneous Delivery System For Remodulin®
The RemUnity system, which has been jointly developed by
DEKA intends to submit a Special 510(k) filing to the
"We developed the RemUnity system to address safety and patient convenience problems with current subcutaneous infusion pumps," said
"We are excited to be launching this innovative delivery technology with
About Remodulin (treprostinil) Injection
Remodulin is a prostacyclin vasodilator indicated for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH,
In patients with PAH requiring transition from epoprostenol, Remodulin is indicated to diminish the rate of clinical deterioration. Consider the risks and benefits of each drug prior to transition.
Important Safety Information for Remodulin
Warnings and Precautions
- Chronic intravenous (IV) infusions of Remodulin delivered with an external infusion pump using an indwelling central venous catheter are associated with the risk of blood stream infections (BSI) and sepsis, which may be fatal. Therefore, continuous subcutaneous (SC) infusion is the preferred mode of administration.
- Avoid abrupt withdrawal or sudden large reductions in dosage of Remodulin, which may result in worsening of PAH symptoms.
- Titrate slowly in patients with hepatic or renal insufficiency because such patients will likely be exposed to greater systemic concentrations relative to patients with normal hepatic or renal function.
- Remodulin is a potent pulmonary and systemic vasodilator. In patients with low systemic arterial pressure, treatment with Remodulin may produce symptomatic hypotension
- Remodulin inhibits platelet aggregation and increases the risk of bleeding.
- Adverse Reactions: In clinical studies of SC Remodulin infusion, the most common adverse events reported were infusion site pain and infusion site reaction (redness and swelling). These symptoms were often severe and sometimes required treatment with narcotics or discontinuation of Remodulin. The IV infusion of Remodulin with an external infusion pump has been associated with a risk of blood stream infections, arm swelling, paresthesias, hematoma, and pain. Other common adverse events (≥3% more than placebo) seen with either SC or IV Remodulin were headache (27% vs. 23%), diarrhea (25% vs. 16%), nausea (22% vs. 18%), jaw pain (13% vs. 5%), vasodilatation (11% vs. 5%), edema (9% vs. 3%), and hypotension (4% vs. 2%).
- Remodulin dosage adjustment may be necessary if inhibitors or inducers of CYP2C8 are added or withdrawn.
- In patients with mild or moderate hepatic insufficiency, decrease the initial dose of Remodulin to 0.625 ng/kg/min ideal body weight. Remodulin has not been studied in patients with severe hepatic insufficiency.
- Safety and effectiveness of Remodulin in pediatric patients have not been established.
- It is unknown if geriatric patients respond differently than younger patients. Caution should be used when selecting a dose for geriatric patients.
- There are no adequate and well-controlled studies with Remodulin in pregnant women. It is not known whether treprostinil is excreted in human milk.
Through our wholly-owned subsidiary, Lung Biotechnology PBC, we are focused on addressing the acute national shortage of transplantable lungs and other organs with a variety of technologies that either delay the need for such organs or expand the supply. Lung Biotechnology is the first public benefit corporation subsidiary of a public biotechnology or pharmaceutical company. [uthr-g]
Statements included in this press release that are not historical in nature are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements include, among others, statements regarding the commercialization of the RemUnity system and additional regulatory submissions relating thereto, the ability of our business model to create value, our ability to sustain long-term success, and our organ transplantation research and development programs. These forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, such as those described in our periodic and other reports filed with the
REMODULIN is a registered trademark of
REMUNITY is a trademark of
United Therapeutics, James Edgemond, (301) 608-9292, firstname.lastname@example.org